Monday, April 11, 2011

Too much food, too much oil, too tired to care

So its been a long month already! Work is good, but busy. I busted my ass today! I skipped eating lunch and was hungry when I got home. Over the weekend Noel and I bought jumbo shrimp again. I was thinking of making the jerk shrimp again. After a day I decided I had to make something different. So I took out the cook books and looked up shrimp. I found bacon wrapped shrimp. Yummy. I shaved my bacon way too thick and it was real hard to wrap. Sure there are somethings I would do different but it was still good. Easy to make just need shrimp, bacon, toothpicks and a skillet. Wrap the shrimp, use the toothpick to keep bacon on the shrimp and cook for 15-20 minutes in the skillet. Easy and tasty!! These would be great at a party. Maybe make a dipping sauce for them.

As I said I didn't have lunch today. So my eyes became bigger than my stomach and I made more food. We had bought two streaks and I saw a recipe that I thought would be good in an AARP magazine. Noel may think I act like I'm in my 60's by listening to NPR and playing golf but this issue was my grandparents not mine. This looked good so I'll had to copy the recipe after all it called for rib eyes(which I didn't use I had a cheaper cut). Salt and pepper the steaks to taste. In a large skillet add 1/8 inch of oil (now this is the first screw up, I had too much oil!!!Next time I'll just put enough to layer the bottom of the pan.). When the oil starts to smoke sear each side of the steaks about a minute each  side then cook three minutes each side (again I should have cooked more like four minutes and less oil). Take the steaks put them on side and add a cut up shallot and a tablespoon rosemary. SIDE NOTE I always use FRESH herbs!!! I get the fresh herbs from Russo and hang them in my kitchen. They don't cost that much and they make a MAJOR difference from the crap in a jar (ok jars are ok when you can't get the real deal) When the shallots are soft add 1/4 cup red wine. Tonight I used Pennywise Petite Sirah. Back to that in a second. After you add the wine use a spatula to get any brown "yummy chunks" and bring to a boil . Take off the heat and mix in two tablespoons of butter. Pour the sauce over the steaks, pour yourself a glass of the wine and enjoy. Well kinda enjoy if you do it right. Mine came out tasting of oil, the sauce was ok, the greenbeans I made were weird(thats the last time I get a mix that you steam in the microwave! I didn't know you had to use the microwave I hate using my microwave, it's just not the same!). Steaks, bacon wrapped shrimp and shitty greenbeans made for a Monday night meal that was a good as the Red Sox game that I watched while I ate. Oh if you don't know the Sox got their ass handed to them by the Rays. Way to go Dice-K glad you're on the team.

So the food was bla, the game was shit, the wine was a beverage. That sounds mean. The wine was alright. I like Petite Sirah. They tend to be big, jammy, fruit forward wines. Pennywise had a interesting smokey, gamy thing going on which I liked but lacks a tad in fruit. As it opened some fruit found its way to the party but nothing special. Sorry folks tonights meal and wine weren't what I had hoped for. But thats the way the cookie crumbles. Some nights you expect Bourdain to ask you to fill in and some night you couldn't cook for the 99.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds delish! I use to much oil sometimes too, its hard to eyeball because once the fire hits it the oil liquifies a little more than when you first pour it into the pan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the problem with oil. I have a smaller oil holder that I usually use but it was out of oil and I was to lazy to refill it before cooking. Thanks for checking out the blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what Dan, sometimes what we make SOUNDS better than it actually turns out -- at least that happens to me!

    But that's the FUN behind cooking. And when I watch all these cooking competitions and challenges, I realize that even "Chefs" run into that as well. It's all par for the course. It doesn't have to be a restaurant quality meal each time - so long as you just enjoy the time you spent making it. :)

    ReplyDelete