Wednesday, April 6, 2011

When life gives you lemons, drink Carmenere!!

So last night after a long day of work I came home to cook a new recipe out of my new book The Spice Bible, page 208 three pepper steak. I couldn't wait it was a three pepper steak with a cream sauce. A really cool recipe that required white pepper, black pepper and green pepper. This meant I HAD to buy whole white and green pepper corns. So I get home change and got to the fridge to get the steaks out and the steaks had already gone bad. Weird because I had only just bought them on Sunday and it was only Tuesday. When I went back to the fridge I realized it didn't work anymore. This pissed me off. I had to call the management company tell them what was wrong and now I have to wait until they find the time to get me a new fridge. It's 24 hours later and still no fridge. But when life gives you lemons, drink Carmenere!! It's something about the mocha, bell pepper and dark fruits that makes me feel much better. So after a quick glass I calmed down and started to think about what to do. I came up with go to Whole Foods and rebuy steaks and try my adventure. First Whole Foods is expensive but it is the only store near my apartment. Second they didn't have what I was looking for. I had to buy thicker steaks.

So I get home get the book out, start the prepwork. I got to use my new mortar and pestle. When I saw it at T.J. Maxx I knew had to have it, plus it was only $9. So I grind up my peppers and sea salt coat the steak, fill the skillet with oil, put the heat on med-high and start to cook my steaks. Now the recipe says for med-rare to cook two-three minuets on each side. I figured that meant four because my steaks where thick. So the steaks are on the stove I quickly cut up some bacon and cut the ends off some white asparagus small amount of salt and stick them into the broiler. I love white asparagus, it has such a different taste than green asparagus and when it's grilled or broiled it kind of has a candy flavor to it add bacon and watch out. So I go back to my steaks and flip. Now I prep the sauce two-thirds cup beef broth, third cup whipping cream,two tablespoons brandy (I know I should be cooking with wine but brandy does come from grapes so it like a cousin to wine), large garlic clove mashed, shallots diced, two tablespoons butter, two tablespoons green pepper( I got to use my mortar and pestle twice this recipe, I was in home chef heaven!) and parsley to taste. After four minuets I take the steak off the stove throw in the garlic, shallots and butter cook for a minuet or two. Now the book said to be careful with the brandy and take the skillet off the heat before you add it. I followed the rules because I didn't want to burn down my kitchen. So you put the skillet back on the heat bring to a boil add the broth, cream, green pepper and cook for four minuets, add the parsley and pour over the steaks. As I finish that up the asparagus is just about done. This looked like I had just got a dish from Abe and Louies. Except I forgot the small red potatoes and when I cut into the streaks they shout ouch that hurts. I did not take in to account the thickness of the steaks they were more on the rare side of med-rare. No big deal just took a sip of the carmenere threw the steaks in the broiler for a few more minuets and started to watch the Red Sox go 0 and 4. After all that I opened another carmenere.

So what is this carmenere I speak of? Just like Malbec it is originally a Bordeaux blending grape. At one time it was a major blending grape however in recent years it has been torn up for other varietals and now makes up for less than 5% of vines in Bordeaux. How ever in Chile it has really has had a chance to shine. It wasn't always that way however. So when the French, Italians, well I guess anyone from a wine drinking society decided to immigrate to new lands they always bring clones with them. So why would it have been any difference in Chile?? They planted vineyards and made great wines. Well tough times came to the Chileans and wine making kind of went a way for a few years(decades even). Then years later things start to get a little better and they wine industry starts to make a come back. But the wine they make was not that good, especially the merlot. So I have heard this story two different ways, they get to the same end but for this blog I am going to go with more the "Cinderella Story" ending. This guy is walking one of the vineyards and is checking out the  vines. He tells the owner that the vines that he thinks are merlot are not merlot but carmenere. A much later harvesting grape. In a perfect world the Chilean people would have hoisted this guy on they shoulder and renamed the country after him. But then again we don't live in the land of Disney. Instead the wine growers start harvesting these grapes later in the year and the wine makers make a wine that in silky dark fruit, with mocha and green bell pepper. Now some of these wines can be a lot of bell pepper. The best ones have it as a finishing note that last on your palate long enough to make the wine drinker smile. Where can I get this wine you say. Well any good wine shop should carry at least one carmenere! Which one should I look for? Well I personally I love, love, love the wines from Viu Manent . These guys are the rock stars of the Chilean wine world. They have been a family owned and run vineyard since 1935. The really put their hearts and souls into every bottle they make!! They have a few levels of quality in wine and every quality is well worth their price. My favorite level is their reserva level. These wine retail around $12.99-$14.99 a bottle and the quality is more like a Napa $25 bottle. What are you doing still reading this post go out and buy a bottle. You wont be disappointed. Not sure you like carmenere? Go try their Cabernet or Malbec. You really wont be disappointed.
    

5 comments:

  1. Dan! (Noel's friend, Naomi here)

    Wowee. Great blog. I love how it's total stream of consciousness too! I also like how you left us all hanging and never said how the new recipe worked out. Did ya like it???

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like it. Next to bacon, steak is my favorite meat. The steak needed more cooking but it still was tasty. The cream sauce was really good. Best of all it was wicked easy to make! Thanks for checking out my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm..I haven't had that wine :(( I need a pestle and mortar in my life! Right now I take a short cut and buy the sea salt and pepper grinders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wicked easy to find! Where do you live? I can tell you if there are any stores with the wine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, love, love, love Steak Au Poivre. And I think that would be a solid pairing for a Carmenere which isn't too green, because I don't love that in my Carm too much, personally.

    And, I'm totally borrowing your bacon idea; I'm making green & white asparagus for Easter, and it might be fun to throw a little pork in there...!

    ReplyDelete